Winter Storm and a Full Wolf Moon

An almost invisible rising moon in the bottom right picture
   A winter storm was in the forecast for several days but our city was supposed to be on the western edge of it, receiving modest amounts of snow. The weekend temperatures were frigid but yesterday afternoon an approaching front brought a noticeable change. We climbed the nearby hill to watch the moonrise as clouds moved in from the south. East winds in the winter are bitter and usually precede our worst storms, and it was bitterly cold out in the open.

   
The moon rose before 4 PM and it faced the sun directly as it came above the horizon making it hard to see at first. I love watching the moon rise in this high spot near our home.
 
The bottom two pictures were taken by my daughter 

   The storm arrived overnight and was much worse than the forecast predicted. We were supposed to get 5-10 cm of snow and then the forecast changed to 15 cm. I measured 30 cm of snow in a protected area of the backyard this afternoon. Our family in Ottawa received 45 cm and Toronto was also paralyzed by the storm. It has been 2 years since I wore my high snow boots, but they came out of the closet today! By evening the skies cleared for a colourful sunset and a picturesque moonrise. 

   I never get tired of watching the power and beauty of nature. I respect its power and admire its beauty. We finally have enough snow for tobogganing, skiing, snowmobiling, and other winter activities. Winter has my permission to stay until March 21st! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful images. We are having a storm today, some schools are closed and I am happy to not have to worry about driving a bus in the cold and blowing snow.

    ReplyDelete