As Time Goes By

One year ago today I was still 65 years old. Tomorrow I will be 67 years old. Time leap-frogs ahead as days, months and years speed by. I am not afraid to share my age as I am blessed with good health and functional ability. Many others in my generation have not aged as well, and I know things could change for me tomorrow. I am thankful for each day of strength and independence, for a sound mind and for the many material benefits I enjoy. I am thankful for a loving family, for my friends and community. 

Nathan, Sandra, Linda, Philip, Ruth
The picture above was taken in 1962 in Grandma D.'s backyard. She had a six-foot-deep flower border down each side of the yard. She loved to work in the garden in the evenings and we enjoyed many picnics and croquet games here over the years. All the grandchildren she had at that time are in this beautiful photo which was taken by my dad. 

Nathan, Stephen, Mom, Philip, Dad, Mark, Ruth -1981
This picture was taken about twenty years later in the backyard of our first home. Our immediate family was seldom together at the same time in our adult years and this was one of those rare occasions. My siblings and I were between the ages of 17 and 26 years and Mom and Dad were 49 years old.
 
Fast forward (and I mean this literally!) 40 years and I am the grandma sitting with my little grandson. We are looking at pictures of the moon, an object he enjoys just a little less than a Jeep. Whenever he saw my iPad he wanted to see the moon, and I had plenty of moon shots to choose between. It doesn't seem possible that 60 years have passed between the first photo and this one. It makes me happy to see Grandma D.'s Nativity scene on the sideboard behind my right shoulder. She would be pleased to see it used by her great-great-grandchildren.

Here are some of my favourite verses from Psalm 90. The words become more meaningful as I get older, and as I celebrate another good year lived, I will number my days that I may gain a heart of wisdom.



Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God...

Our days may come to seventy years,
or eighty, if our strength endures;
yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow,
for they quickly pass, and we fly away...
Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom...

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen trouble.
May your deeds be shown to your servants,
your splendour to their children.

May the favour of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.

from Psalm 90 NIV

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are such wonderful memories . Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete