January-Week 3

(photo credit- The Becka)


A retired high school teacher in our community creates unique sculptures after each snowfall. Matt Morris had a lot of raw material after this week's storm and we drove by to see this lion in his front yard.

The lion was a good representation of my experience this week. I saw a range of human emotions that were inspiring and draining at the same time. 

I saw courage in the face of fear and loss, 

forgiveness in the face of great injustice,

faith in the face of impossible odds,

love in the face of death. 

I understand how health care workers are feeling burned out, not just from long hours worked, but from processing emotional extremes that are part of working with sickness and humanity. 

It has been bitterly cold with overnight temperatures in the minus 20s celsius under clear skies. We have walked the dog in the woods where there is protection from the wind and sunshine to warm things up a little by afternoon. It is so peaceful and restorative here with clean snow, long shadows and deep silence. 


My younger co-workers have been juggling work with childcare responsibilities, which have included remote learning as schools were closed until this week. At this stage of life, I am fortunate to be able to work part-time and to come home and relax if I am tired. 

I found time to catch up on the latest word puzzle craze which is free of charge and consists of only one game a day. I failed my first try at Wordle but was able to solve today's game in 3 of the 6 possible attempts. Now I understand the strange charts people post online with green and grey and yellow squares. The entire English-speaking world is solving this UK-based puzzle each day, so you cannot share the answer unless you want to be severely scolded and shunned. 


Lastly, I have enjoyed streaming some programs on TV. I seldom watch shows in the warmer seasons, but winter evenings are perfect for a cup of tea and a good story. I watched season 9 of Father Brown on Britbox, which sadly consisted of only two episodes. Covid has created challenges with filming and new seasons are often shortened and released late. Both episodes were well done and worth watching.

We are also watching the new version of Around the World in 80 Days on PBS starring David Tennant. The story is significantly altered from Jules Verne's original, but it is culturally updated and relevant in regard to colonialism as well as the status of women. My favourite televised version of this story is the miniseries starring Pierce Brosnan which is far more light-hearted but not highly rated. 

I watched the new animated movie Encanto on Disney+ and found the first twenty minutes to be less than inspiring. But the movie came together and the message was very good. Basically, the theme is about families who expect their children to be gifted and perfect while ignoring the cracks and weaknesses that threaten the foundation of the home. This article on CNN gives an excellent summary of the lessons in the story, particularly in relation to the expectations that many immigrant families have for their children. I read another article in Sojourners that explored some spiritual aspects of the story from a Christian perspective.  The song  All of You starts with these lyrics.

Look at this home
We need a new foundation
It may seem hopeless but we'll get by just fine
Look at this family, a glowing constellation

So full of stars and everybody wants to shine
But the stars don't shine, they burn
And the constellations shift
I think it's time you learn

You're more than just your gift
And I'm sorry I held on too tight
Just so afraid I'd lose you too
The miracle is not some magic that you've got

The miracle is you, not some gift, just you
The miracle is you
All of you, all of you...


We don't have to be heroes and should not be ashamed of embracing our human weaknesses. As well as being kind to ourselves, we need to extend grace and kindness to others, especially in times of uncertainty and stress. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment