Pumpkin Season

Byward Market, Ottawa ON

We are three days into autumn and a fall chill is present in the morning and evening as the days have shortened. I am not a coffee shop person, but today I had a hankering for a pumpkin spice latte. I have only had one, purchased at a Starbucks in the Chicago airport. I was on my way home to Canada at the time of my father's death in September 2019 and was actually underwhelmed by the flavour. Ordering any drink from Starbucks gives me anxiety as I am not a regular customer and struggle with their lingo.

We stopped by two Starbucks today and were discouraged by the long drive-through lineups. So I spent my latte money on Portuguese custard tarts and decided to make the PSL at home. 

Pumpkin Spice Latte
It was easy and perfectly delicious, so here is the simple recipe for one serving. (Grande, maybe even Venti!)

In a blender add 
- 2 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 2 tsp or equivalent of sweetener
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin spice mix
- dash of vanilla
- 1 cup of steaming milk (I used soy)

Blend on high speed until frothy.

*You can stop and drink it right now. This flavoured milk is better than hot chocolate imo.*

If you need caffeine, add 1/2 cup espresso or strong brewed coffee to the milk mixture.  Optional: Sprinkle with spice and add whipped cream.

We love pumpkin pie, pumpkin sponge cake roll with cream cheese filling, and pumpkin loaf. Puréed pumpkin thickens and flavours homemade soup and stews. Every autumn we cook and freeze enough pumpkin for treats throughout the year. The pumpkin spice craze in supermarkets and fast food outlets is a little excessive and I wonder how many real pumpkins are used in most of the creations. Nothing beats homemade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment