"Dead Family Tour" Road Trip

One of my daughters and I took a two day road trip this week which we nicknamed "The Dead Family Tour". She had an appointment in Toronto and we wanted to visit out of town family whom we have not seen for many months due to COVID restrictions. Along the way we planned to stop at some towns where our ancestors lived as well as old graveyards where they are buried. 

My brother lent me his GPS unit in 2008 when we drove to New York City for the first time. I didn't think I needed such a unit as I had worked in the home care sector for several years and felt that a map was all that was needed for navigation. We had planned a two week holiday in 1998 to Canada's east coast just using a CAA TripTik. However, the GPS unit was extremely helpful and I bought one for myself after that trip. I did learn that a GPS unit is fallible and should not be relied on completely when driving.


Before going on a road trip, I research routes on Google Maps and write the details down in a notebook, using the GPS unit as a backup only. I like the option of choosing from several routes and having the beginning and end of the trip clearly visible. Getting the big picture helps me remember the directions by memory. 


Putting the same destination in the GPS unit gives me a map that shows only a kilometer of distance at a time. I am given an arrival time, but have no idea of the where I am going beyond the next turn. If I decide on an alternate route, the device may try to override me, which can be annoying. I use this short-sighted navigation tool as seldom as possible. It is valuable for unexpected detours and for getting around an unfamiliar urban area.

Life is more like a GPS unit than a Google Map tool. While we plan for the future, we do not see the end from the beginning and are often navigating a short distance ahead at a time. The future may be uncertain and we wish we could see the road ahead. We need courage, faith, optimism and good travel companions to complete our journeys well.

Today is the second anniversary of my father's death. He enjoyed a fulfilling life and travelled widely in the world. His final few years were marked with illness and loss, and it was a good thing that he did not know the struggles he would face at the end of his journey. We are grateful that his suffering is over and now remember the happier days of his life. 

L-R, top to bottom: Queen St Toronto, Park Lawn Cemetery, Barrie ON waterfront

The road trip this week was a great success with the right balance of planning and spontaneity. I had never visited the scenic area between Collingwood and Thornbury, Ontario and hope to go back and explore it in greater depth. We had the chance to remember and honour a number of family ancestors who have completed their life journeys well.

Collingwood waterfront, Union Cemetery in Thornbury, Georgian Bay at Blue Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment