Changing Seasons

Moon rising to the east
Last evening was completely clear, which is unusual as we generally have afternoon clouds from Lake Huron on sunny days. Once or twice a year there are no cloud banks on the horizon when the full moon rises and we watch the skies from a great vantage point in a neighbourhood park. It was lovely to see the sun set and a full moon rise at the same time giving the sky has a warm, colourful glow. 

Sun setting to the west

Equinox occurs on September 23rd this year, even though I think of September 21st as being the first day of autumn. I have charged up my bike lights as it darker in the mornings when I ride to work. Speaking of work, our Covid-19 numbers are up from two weeks ago and 100% of the patients on my unit with Covid are unvaccinated. One very sick person is insisting they do not have the virus. It is a challenging, sometimes disheartening group of people to work with, people who have been strongly influenced by online misinformation and political posturing in regards to vaccinations and lockdowns. 

Changing colours in the sky as the moon rises higher and sun has set

The beauty of nature is restorative for me, and I know this season of illness will pass as surely as summer is turning to autumn. Today is also the Canadian federal election and perhaps we will know by tomorrow who our Prime Minister will be for the next session of parliament. I exercised my right to vote in honour of Grandmother D. who supported the suffragette movement 100 years ago. Whoever wins today will eventually lose to someone else as political fortunes change. Nothing lasts forever.

Excerpt from the poem "The Harvest Moon"

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful images. It is so sad that too many people don't feel the need for vaccinations or even believe that this virus is real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images....The unvaccinated are taking a toll of health care workers and their communities. My 2 young grandchildren including the 2 year old who is medically fragile can't get vaccinated yet. I worry about them as the rest of my family and friends are vaccinated. Nice to see you ....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Michelle. I have reconnected with your newer blog. I hear your concern for your grandchildren. Whether it is protecting nature, or our families, people need to think unselfishly about the impact of their decisions on others.

      Delete