Boundaries


There are many types of hospital isolation and precautions that we must observe as we work with patients. People with COVID-19 have airborne precautions requiring the use of N95 masks along with our other protective gear. Others, with infections such as MRSA, require contact precautions. Today I had a new patient with a less commonly seen precaution.

The outer and inner boundaries of the room were marked with special tape indicating bed bug isolation. Paramedics who brought the patient to hospital noted bed bugs in the home and on the patient's belongings. Somehow, the thought of inadvertently bringing bed bugs home with me is far worse than the idea of carrying an invisible viral or bacterial infection! My immune system can mount an attack against viruses and bacteria, but not against bed bugs.

The tape on the floor made me think about other types of important boundaries we sometimes need in life. Our society has laws that define boundaries of acceptable social behaviour. Sometimes we need to set personal boundaries to protect ourselves from the abusive behaviour of other people. Forgiveness is an important step to take when we have been wronged, but that does not mean that we must be door mats and offer ourselves up for further abuse. 

Luke 14:3-4 sets boundaries for forgiveness. People are quick to quote verse 4 out of context. 

“So watch yourselves! If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. 4 Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.

Offering forgiveness does not mean there will not be consequences for bad behaviour. In Numbers 14:17-23, God said he would forgive the rebellion of the Israelites as Moses asked, but none of that generation would see the promised land. 

Coming to forgiveness may take time and it should not be a flippant promise. Reconcilation, which is not the same as forgiveness, is an even longer process, especially if there has been repeated abuse and breaching of boundaries. 

We live in an increasingly polarized world where personal attacks and opinions can quickly spread in emails, forums and social media. I have set personal boundaries regarding my use of the internet and social media in an effort to prevent myself from being in a state of perpetual indignation. I find far more good in the world than bad if I limit my exposure to click bait headlines and biased reporting. Time is valuable and as I get older, I am constantly reminded that I have used more time than I have left. I want to use it wisely and be a positive influence in my circle of family, friends and community.

And I wish that maintaining important boundaries in my life was a easy as placing sticky tape on the floor!


2 comments:

  1. Very well written. I have made it my goal to post positive posts on my social media sites, hoping and trusting that others will be lifted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, you are a consistently uplifting person who focuses on the beauty in this world. You are appreciated!

      Delete