Three Years into Retirement

 Saying goodbye on my last day of work -Feb 2020
Yesterday marked three years from the day I retired from full-time work. I don't regret the decision and know I was fortunate to leave that job before the pandemic hit. The hospital where I worked absorbed many patients displaced from long term care beds during the worst COVID outbreaks slowing the turnover of admission and discharges. It has been a stressful time for healthcare workers.

I continue in my part-time position on a medical/surgical chest unit at an acute care hospital and love the work I am doing. The ward is no longer a COVID unit and the patient mix includes people with a variety of conditions from COPD exacerbations to esophagectomies. (I think about my esophagus frequently now and avoid heartburn at all costs!) Every day I learn something new and can also put my rehab experience to good use.

Someone recently asked me why I still worked and wondered why my identity as a physiotherapist was so important to me. I did not seek this position but was glad to accept it when offered. I believe that we always have opportunities and choices available that give purpose to our lives. I envisioned myself being a volunteer in retirement, but volunteer opportunities were scarce at the height of the pandemic. Having a paid position has been very helpful as the value of our retirement savings has fluctuated with variable financial markets and inflation. But I hold my current job with open palms, ready to move on when the time is right. I have good role models for healthy aging within my family where retirement has opened the door for new ways to work and learn and share with others.

Politics is one area where people can work at any age. Centenarian Hazel McCallum, the longtime mayor of the City of Mississauga was buried yesterday on what would have been her 102nd birthday. She was head of an advisory group for the provincial government at the time of her death. It takes a strong, brave person to enter politics these days as online abuse and personal threats are far too common, especially toward women. I have no ambitions in the political arena.

Healthy aging is dependent on a number of factors which include a healthy diet, regular exercise, meaningful social interactions, ongoing learning, avoiding substance abuse, and taking control of vascular markers like blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. Depression, anxiety, and hearing loss can also accelerate the loss of functional independence. A spiritual focus is helpful in finding meaning and managing stressful circumstances that will inevitably accompany getting older. We have to live in community with others and have a focus outside ourselves to achieve these goals.
 
I am currently reading The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, a popular British whodunit set in a "peaceful retirement village." The most annoying thing about the book so far is reading about too many old people living in one place, trying to make the best of their golden years. I am very grateful to have friends and family of all ages and am a firm believer that segregating people by age is never a good thing. Generational integration is normal and necessary. 

My multigenerational, multicultural workplace is a perfect fit for me right now. I have good friends who are the same age as my children. This young physiotherapist from Kerala has shared some amazing food and recipes with me. I am going to make his fish curry for supper tonight. He and I both share our Christian faith and know that God is not into handouts, but gives us the opportunity and responsibility to live wisely and generously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment