Balancing Act

I bought myself a good bike in the summer of 2012; it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. I got my first two-wheeled bicycle when I was eight years old, shortly after we returned to Canada and moved to the then-small town of Aurora where traffic was light and the roads reasonably safe. I remember riding all over town one spring selling Girl Guide cookies as I was an enthusiastic member of the Brownies. I rode a bike as a university student and commuted to my first job the same way. When our children were able to ride, we made good use of the excellent network of bike trails in our city. For the past three years, I pedalled at least 1000 km a year commuting to work and riding in the neighbourhood. 

Last month I had my first major crash, wiping out on a patch of black ice in the park. Fortunately, I did not break anything but a few parts of my bike. The repairs cost a couple of hundred dollars but the chain, brakes and gears were due to be replaced anyway and my bike is now as good as new. The mild winter weather has given me the opportunity to go on some rides this past week. 

The elm tree in better days
Today I rode by the sad stump of one of the last Elm trees in the area. Apparently, the city put a lot of effort into keeping it healthy but the foliage was increasingly sparse in the last couple of years and it finally succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I wonder how old it was? 

My recent rides have restored my confidence in remaining upright on two wheels. But there are other high-balance activities where I have no skill at all. 

Ice skating, roller skating, in-line skating, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, and gymnastic balance feats are all beyond my ability and I have no desire to risk my bones trying them at this stage of life. But there are some balance activities that I practice daily and test my patients' skill levels as well. 

Balance performance decreases quickly in middle age for many reasons, increasing the risk of falls. Shuffling, a wide-based stance, a rapid gait pace, hip weakness, peripheral neuropathies as seen in diabetes, pain, and spinal abnormalities all indicate the potential of decreased standing balance. By timing how long a person can stand on one leg (I only test with eyes open), it is possible to assess a person's fall risk and their need for a gait aid. The good thing about this activity is that with practice, performance improves quickly. I ask my patients to practice single-leg standing on both legs a couple of times a day while standing near a counter or sink. The ability to stand on one leg for even ten seconds is associated positively with all-cause mortality in middle-aged and older people. (source)




Our three-year-old grandson is learning to skate this winter. It is best to learn this skill when you are small enough that you don't have far to fall. My daughter bought skate trainer aids that attach to the skate. They work like training wheels do for a bicycle. According to the positive reviews of buyers, children do not need them long before they get the hang of skating on blades without assistance. I hear they work for adults too, but I will take a pass during this lifetime! I will continue practicing unipedal stance regularly in the comfort of my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment