Winter Solstice

Raven joyfully bounding in the snow



Winter Solstice arrived today between two big storms. We are anticipating the second multi-day snowstorm tomorrow but today was calm and clear. I have missed the sun and made the best of the day outdoors in spite of a cold west wind. The trees in our local woods provide a good windbreak and our dog Raven loves running the trails in the bush. Thankfully it was not icy and the snow was not deep. The shadows were already long in the early afternoon as the sun stayed low in the sky. This is the shortest day of the year or the longest night however you want to look at it. And tomorrow we begin the journey toward summer with slowly lengthening days. I hope we have more cold, high-pressure systems with dry air and clear skies in the next few weeks. Living close to the Great Lakes we have many grey damp days with lake-effect clouds and flurries.



Staying active in the winter months is a challenge for me. I rode my bike today for what is likely the last ride of 2022. My modest annual goal of 1000 km of cycling was achieved last week and I biked at least once every month this year. I do not like walking when conditions are icy and the pavement in the city is often slippery. My winter exercise options are the indoor spin bike and exercise videos but I find myself procrastinating in setting a regular routine. My young co-workers in their smart Lululemon outfits talk about the competitive Peleton routines they do on spin bikes and treadmills early in the morning before work. 

I say, "No thank you!" My joints say, "You are welcome."








A recent research article in the European Heart Journal suggested that we need only eight minutes of high intensity exercise a day to improve our fitness level and decrease the risk of chronic disease. Cardiovascular benefits do not increase significantly with more time spent exercising. I have been trying to think of ways I could enjoy exercising vigorously (there aren't many) and have narrowed it down to doing stairs and short, fast rides on the spin bike. Climbing stairs makes me breathless and I have 198 steps available at work between the first and tenth floors. Eight minutes on an indoor bike is also doable. 

But my winter preference will be trail walking with my Activator poles, weather permitting. Indoor exercise does not come with sunlight, the sound of the wind in the trees, and a cheerful Chickadee song with percussion provided by a variety of woodpeckers. Whatever natural light we can enjoy can go a long way toward improving our mood during the darkness of this season.


(All photos were taken by Becka)

No comments:

Post a Comment