A Christmas Story from 2018

 Sometimes the past comes flying back and startles you without warning.


The weather had been dreary and the sidewalks icy, so I went to a smallish mall to do some walking. The mall has a little grocery store, a few doctors’ offices, a coffee shop, a bookstore and a dollar store. It is frequented by mothers with small children and senior citizens looking for a little conversation and companionship. 

Bells rang behind me and I looked back to see Santa in pursuit. I stepped aside to let him pass, but he stopped and called me by name. I stared at what little face was visible under the whiskers and hat and saw someone vaguely familiar. I could not tell who he was. 

Santa identified himself... and a sack full of memories unloaded in my mind. 

Santa and his wife attended a young adults' group at our church many years ago. They were not part of the cool crowd for a number of silly reasons and eventually dropped out without really being missed. I saw them a few times over the years in the community and they were always friendly to me. They had a disabled son who took the same school bus as my youngest daughter. A few years ago, Mrs. Santa had a prolonged illness that landed her in my unit at the hospital. Santa took her home when she was still completely dependent on him for all her personal needs. He told me that she was doing much better but he is still her caregiver.

Their life has not been easy but the family stuck together and supported each other.

I asked Santa if he worked for the mall. His answer was, “No.”  He dressed up just to make people smile as he walked through plazas and drove around town in December. As we talked, a vehicle pulled up, the back window rolled down and a little girl looked out in awe as she said, “hi”  to Santa. A few minutes later an elderly man came by for a hug. 

Santa and his family were not successful in the way our group measured success 40 years ago. I deeply regretted any past condescension toward them even when I was outwardly polite. Here he was, in his modest way, selflessly spreading cheer and goodwill to ordinary people in our community. 

The message of Christmas is for everyone, but especially for poor and marginalized people, those who are sick and lonely, and the brokenhearted and hopeless. We must carry the message of Christmas to those in need, not in a patronizing manner, but with respect and kindness. 

Humans are tribal by nature as we gravitate toward those who are most like ourselves and shun, even fear those we feel do not belong to our group. The spirit of Christmas calls us to move outside our comfort zone and meet the needs of the most unlikely holy families among us.

The Refugees: La Sagrada Familia by Kelly Latimore

This very recent and popular painting by Kelly Latimore is available online. The artist generously agreed to allow people to use it freely for non-commercial purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment