Goblin Mode


An unfiltered picture of the dog and me "going goblin" last night

The Oxford English Dictionary's word of the year for 2022 is "Goblin Mode", a term completely new to me and also new to Stephen King who tweeted

"I learned a new phrase today: going goblin. I intend to use it at every opportunity." 

The term describes people who are unapologetically self-indulgent, slovenly and lazy, but it is also the antithesis of pressures people feel to present a perfect, edited image of themselves, especially when posting on social media. 

Mom always said that her priorities in housekeeping were to have the beds made, the bathroom clean and the dishes washed and dried. We had to make our beds and my job from a young age was to dry the breakfast dishes before going to school and keep the bathrooms clean. I am still happy with the basic minimum of daily household chores. I married into a family of perfect housekeepers where vacuums were used daily and clutter was non-existent. This caused me considerable anxiety whenever people would drop in for a visit or if I entertained family on a special occasion. I worked in Home Care for a decade and other than a few cases of severe hoarding and filth, homes generally look lived-in and comfortable. Dust bunnies and counter clutter were not the focus of my attention at all.

Princess Anne's Living Room

I saved this picture that was shared widely in the press in February 2021 with titles like, "Princess Anne shares a glimpse into her VERY ordinary living-room", and "Princess Anne Gives Rare Look Inside Her (Relatably Cluttered!) Living Room".

I love this unpretentious candid shot of a very inviting and comfortable home. Princess Anne is not 'going goblin' but she is obviously comfortable with healthy, unfiltered aging along with active and engaging living.



I am very aware of the sheer number of items in our home and actively try to keep unused possessions at a minimum. But as a sentimental person, I find it difficult to throw out things that have a history even if I haven't looked at them for years. We did a big purge about four years ago and are overdue for another one. That may be one of my New Year's resolutions.

My grandmother used to quote this saying and it is old enough that its origin is forgotten. In the end, it is not the house, but the people who make a home. Instagram perfection is not what we should be striving for, and nor is goblin-like slovenly filth. But my goal, even at this stage of life, is to be unapologetically welcoming and ready to share what I have with others. I will never be a person who makes a perfectly clean and organized home my highest priority. 



No comments:

Post a Comment