To Mask or Not to Mask

This week marked 2 years and 3 months since I started my post-retirement job. My employment at an acute care hospital has spanned the entire COVID-19 pandemic. For all but the first couple of weeks, I have worn surgical or N95 masks and a face shield whenever I am on patient units or with staff. I worked today and saw a couple of patients ill from COVID, but the numbers are much lower than during the 4 or 5 waves we have experienced since 2020. This week marks the end of provincially mandated masking in most buildings and public transit. But hospitals are wisely taking the initiative to continue their own masking mandates.

Will I continue to wear a mask outside of work? 

I have not had COVID but I am around infected people often, albeit with full personal protection. I do not plan to get a second booster until the vaccine "recipe" is updated to protect against newer variants. My best protection would be to get a mild breakthrough COVID infection to boost my vaccine-induced immunity. 

I do not wear a mask outdoors. If I was in a well-ventilated indoor space where social distancing was possible, such as Costco or Walmart at 8 AM, I would also feel comfortable without a mask. 

Time is also a factor in transmitting infection. The "15-minute rule" suggests that close contact with an infected person for a cumulative 15-minute period increases the risk of contagion. I also want to be cognizant of the risk of serious infection for people who are vulnerable due to age or pre-existing medical conditions. Masks and good hand hygiene offer protection from many other contagious viruses and bacteria. 

My plan is as follows.

  • Continue to be unmasked outdoors in most circumstances
  • Do not worry about masking when going in and out of an uncrowded indoor space 
  • Wear a mask when I am indoors for a length of time such as sitting in church, in a theatre, sporting event or concert where people are in close proximity, particularly if they are singing or shouting
  • Wear a mask around people who choose to be masked, particularly if they appear physically vulnerable
  • I will definitely wear a mask when travelling on public transit
  • I will still be cautious around unvaccinated people, particularly because my frequent exposure to COVID at work increases my risk of being an asymptomatic carrier. 
I am not sure what "normal" will look like in the future. The measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID have also decreased the spread of influenza and other respiratory illnesses. The ongoing practice of good hand hygiene and isolating when sick with any contagious illness is being considerate to everyone. Whether we choose to mask or not is a personal decision and I will not deride those who choose differently than I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment