Fighting Gravity


 I was looking through a slide show of medical slang terms on Medscape and had to chuckle at the image above. I had never heard the term "Computer Face" used before. Gravity is unopposed when we sit in front of a screen for long periods of time without moving our facial muscles, thus speeding the development of an aging visage. As a sexagenarian, I am familiar with the effects of the earth's force on external and internal body parts. "Six feet under" is gravity's final victory!

Horizontal Me
Masks have allowed us to hide jowls for a couple of years, along with food stuck in our teeth and questionable breath. As I researched strategies for avoiding "computer face", I read that if you take a selfie in a supine position, you see the face you used to have. Lying in a horizontal position all day works for some people, but not for me. 

Another recommendation was to put a mirror beside your computer screen/mobile device to remind you to change your facial position every few minutes. My physiotherapist self would tell you to move your wrists, shoulders, spine and hips as well as your eye focus distance and facial muscles. On the job, I wrestle very ill, immobile people into functional positions to encourage their muscles to activate and strengthen. Inactivity is a sure way to hasten ageing. 

I don't know how many more exercise routines I can fit into my day. I have a routine for my degenerating hips and knees, and another for core strength. Facial exercises are amusing, but it is awkward to take a break at your workstation as you curl your lips over your teeth, and force your stretched lips into a smile while holding a pencil in your mouth. (I didn't make up that exercise!) It is better to just get up every so often, take a brief walk, stretch your muscles, and exercise your face by talking to a real person. 

At church this morning, we were introduced to a family of five who arrived from Ukraine two weeks ago. This is the second family from that war-torn area that the congregation is supporting. Their English is very limited and adjusting to a new country will be challenging. My life is so easy in comparison. I can sit on the deck overlooking my garden and write a silly piece about fighting gravity with no need to flee or fight for my life. There is plenty of trouble in the world, but we still need to laugh and enjoy what each day offers, putting aside our self-centred vanity. 

Ecclesiastes 3 offers wise insight into the human condition and starts with the well-known "there is a time for everything" poem. Verses10-13 read as follows:-

I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 
He has made everything beautiful in its time. 
He has also set eternity in the human heart, 
yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 

I know that there is nothing better for people 
than to be happy and to do good while they live. 
That each of them may eat and drink, 
and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment