Motion is Lotion

Two "mature females" doing Pilates

I assessed a patient in the emergency department who disclosed to me that they had six joint replacements;- two knees, two hips and two shoulders. They were in their early 70s and had spent most of their retirement years having one surgery after another. The surgeries had been generally successful and the patient told me that their clinic physiotherapist always said, "Motion is lotion." This person was determined to do some travelling and lead an active life again.

My hip replacement is 3-1/2 years old and that surgery was a great success. I have two knees that are like bad brakes with no brake pads. I was to have a knee replacement in 2020, but have fallen off the list with the huge surgical backlogs due to COVID-19. And I am not so sure that I want a knee replacement right now.

Immobility is my nemesis. Taking a few steps after prolonged sitting or first thing in the morning is often uncomfortable. But once I start moving, my joints limber up and feel somewhat normal. Riding my bike is easier on my joints than walking on the pavement even though I enjoy walking on dirt trails with my Activator poles. The other activity I do regularly is a twenty-minute Pilates routine. Our 11-year-old dog, Raven, has enjoyed Pilates since she was a pup! In truth, she likely thinks it is fun to have a human on the floor with her doing movements she can copy. In human years, Raven is 77 but she runs and moves like a creature half her age and is far more nimble than me.

Muscle and joint pain can leave us fearful of moving or it can encourage us to keep moving. The latter is the solution to at least 80% of musculoskeletal problems. I had another patient this week who was admitted with sciatica so severe that they could not take a step on the affected leg without their knee giving out. I gave them a frame walker and made them get out of bed and move. The next morning, the patient was moving well enough with the walker that they could go home. Their X-rays and scans showed normal age-related wear and tear on the spine and they will undoubtedly make a full recovery in a few weeks. They did the right thing by coming to the hospital to rule out a more sinister diagnosis, but after they were cleared it was time to get up and move through the pain.

Daily physical activity is essential and motion is lotion. I must remember this myself the next time I want to sit and binge-watch a Netflix or Britbox series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment