Birding by Ear- Spring 2022

April 6, 2022, near the Grand River at Blair ON- Dogwood and Willows colour the landscape

Robins returned to our neighbourhood about a month ago and the weather since then has been marginally spring-like and generally winter-like. The frozen and often snow-covered ground does not yield any grubs or worms and groups of Robins are gathering under shrubs in protected areas where they scrounge for old freeze-dried berries. Yet every morning as I leave for work at dawn, a Robin sits on a tree above the driveway singing its heart out. Some people complain about noisy birds in the morning and evening but birdsong is my favourite playlist, including the calls of grungy blackbirds. 

Red-bellied Woodpecker

I went birding today, checking out my favourite spots and counting species as I walked trails along rivers, meadows and swamps. At my first stop, I heard two Red-bellied Woodpeckers calling from high above me and it took me a while to find them. One of them was excavating a new nest as its mate called back and forth from a higher branch. When I left over an hour later, they were still hard at work constructing their spring home.

Song Sparrow and Northern Cardinal

Song Sparrows and Northern Cardinals are easy to spot in the spring as they sing and call loudly from treetops in an effort to establish their nesting territories. These open displays are not without risk as I have watched a Cooper's Hawk catch a male Cardinal mid-song. Nature seems cruel at times, but that does not stop these birds from singing. I follow their voices and find them posed beautifully for a picture.

Short video of Dark-eyed Junco's Spring Song



I heard a trilling bird song in a thicket and did not recognize the call at all. It reminded me of a Pine Warbler song that was not quite right. Thankfully my phone was able to record the song but before I left, I saw a Dark-eyed Junco in the bush as it sang the song. I have never heard a Junco's spring song. These little sparrows migrate to our area in the winter but move north again to nest in April. In the winter they make quiet whistling sounds that are barely audible as they forage on the ground for seeds. This song could be heard across the field. It is difficult to get a good picture of a Junco, especially in poor light but I captured an image of this male as he sang a song that was larger than his body.

Many birds have different songs in the spring as they mark their territory and communicate with their mates. In late winter and spring, the Black-capped Chickadee uses the "fee-bee" song of two notes with a descending minor third instead of the more familiar "chicka-dee-dee-dee" call.


I have many more bird songs to learn which is one of many reasons that I never walk outdoors listening to music or podcasts on my phone. The sounds of nature are far more compelling to my ears.


April 6, 2022- Bird list from this trail by the Nith River, Ayr ON: (17 species)

Bald Eagle, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Am. Robin, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Cardinal, Am. Crow, Common Grackle, Eur. Starling, Song Sparrow, Mallard Duck, Canada Goose, Dark-eyed Junco, Mourning Dove, Trumpeter Swans, Herring Gulls



1 comment:

  1. The song of most any bird is sweet music to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete