Why I Was a Little Late for Work Today!


Unlike nurses, no one cares if I am a few minutes late for work as I don't relieve anyone who worked an earlier shift. My workday ends 8 hours after I arrive. We switched back to Eastern Standard Time on the weekend and it is lovely going to work in daylight rather than in the dark. The days will continue to shorten for another 6 weeks, so daylight at 7 AM will not be around for long. 

My usual bike route takes me on a trail by a creek that empties into this pond before it changes direction and goes toward the Grand River. The ground and water were misty in the morning light and many birds were active in the water, shrubs and trees. I biked this trail with our daughters many times when they were young, and they called this body of water the Ducks and Geese Pond.

The light at sunrise was so beautiful this morning that I had to stop to admire the scenery. The leaves are falling fast this week but there are still stands of yellow and gold. I met a patient today who has not been out of her apartment since February 2021. The effects of isolation and inactivity had weakened her to the point where she could no longer manage her own care. I am grateful for every day I enjoy nature, knowing that many people do not have the ability to get outdoors on their own.





This is the last kilometre to the hospital and I arrived a couple of minutes later than usual. I generally meet the same dog-walkers, joggers, fitness walkers and cyclists on this trail each morning. We greet each other and continue on our way. I am not alone in enjoying all seasons in this urban park. The paths are not cleared in the winter but until we get snow that stays on the ground, I will continue to ride my bike. 





We have also been admiring the night sky this week as the evenings have been clear and still. 

The waxing crescent moon is in conjunction with several planets this month. This photo was taken two nights ago as the moon and Venus set in the early evening. Tonight, the moon is in conjunction with Saturn. We get lake effect clouds from Lake Huron and clear skies like this happen only a few days a month. I know very little about astronomy, but the app Sky Walk is very helpful in learning where to find planets, and for receiving notifications about celestial events. The next big event is a lunar eclipse in the early hours of November 19, 2021. I am scheduled to work that day but if I get up at 4 AM and the sky is clear, the peak eclipse will be visible. The natural world is never boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment