Hip Arthroplasties, Vaccines and More

It is now three years since I had a hip replacement. I seldom think about it anymore as there is no pain or dysfunction to remind me of a severely damaged joint. I could not lift my right leg in the car and had to park where there was a curb to step down into the driver's seat. I could not lie flat and slept in a supported position on the couch for the last few weeks before surgery. I kept up with my active, full-time job by taking too much anti-inflammatory medication. 

I say this to demonstrate the contrast in my life now. Without a new joint, I would not have gone on a 10 km bike ride this morning. I would not be working at another active hospital job, taking the stairs to my unit on the 6th floor. I would be unable to carry my grandchildren and would undoubtedly be using a cane. 

I was the first patient at our hospital to have a hip replacement as day surgery. My surgeon and I were interviewed for the local TV news three weeks after the operation. Same-day hip replacements are done frequently now. In the earlier days of my career as a physiotherapist, people in their 60's were rarely offered joint replacements, as the parts did not last as long as they do now. Doing a revision of a previous replacement is a more complex procedure. My patients in the 1970s stayed in the hospital for two weeks postoperatively! 

Medical science has progressed at a rapid pace in the past few decades. I am amazed at the complexity of the cardiac surgeries done where I now work. My grandfather and father-in-law would have had significantly longer lives in this decade compared to how their heart disease was treated between 1965 and 1990.

Two days ago I received my third COVID-19 vaccination. It was 282 days since my second dose and I was relieved to have the booster. We still have COVID-positive patients in the hospital, and I have had 2 inadvertent exposures in the past five weeks. I have had multiple COVID swabs done, the last in October this year. A few vaccinated staff and patients have tested positive recently, but they have been largely asymptomatic. The majority of our current patients with severe COVID are unvaccinated, with the odd one being vaccinated but significantly immunosuppressed. 

Our hospital fired 20 staff members this week who refused to be vaccinated. When we are hired, we have to show proof of vaccination for several other diseases. The COVID-19 vaccination will be added to the list of other required immunizations. I have an artificial hip which has greatly improved my quality of life. I don't need to worry about getting tetanus, Hepatitis C, smallpox or polio because of immunizations I have received in the past. I do not seek excessive medical treatment and always ask questions before taking prescriptions or having tests. But there are times when the benefits of treatment outweigh the possible risks.

I respect the fact that people have a personal choice whether or not to accept the COVID vaccine. I cannot respect people who publicly protest vaccinations, who threaten healthcare workers, and those who spread misinformation or disinformation that could cause harm to vulnerable people. Unvaccinated people, who are hospitalized with COVID, generally accept the life-saving medical treatment offered when they develop respiratory failure. Sadly, some of them have died preventable deaths due to fear of the vaccine. I cannot deny that I feel resentful at times, knowing the avoidable cost of treatment that is carried by our socialized health care system.

And yes, I had my annual influenza immunization this month too, the first year I have received the high dose 65 years+ super shot!


2 comments:

  1. It is great to hear that you are doing so well. I am waiting for the time to get my third Covid shot, which will happen by mid December. It is frustrating to hear about too many who just refuse to believe the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruth. I cannot follow the logic of anti-vaxxers. I hope that your decision to be vaccinated, and to get the booster, encourages others in your circle to follow your example. I am sad that many of the resisters are church-goers who have equated the vaccine with evil.

    ReplyDelete