Four Years Old!



Four years ago I got to hold our tiny, newborn granddaughter for the first time. I do not know where the years have gone!  She is in junior kindergarten now and is a very interesting and imaginative little girl. We love her dearly!

I do not remember my fourth birthday at all. I have a few early memories around that age, mostly fearful moments such as when I was stuck in deep snow in the backyard in Pembroke. The house was so far away and I could not move. Undoubtedly, I was very safe and my mother was watching me from the kitchen window.

January 1959

I have some pictures of my fourth birthday party, which was celebrated with my cousins at our grandmother's house. The menu appears to be sandwiches and celery sticks and an enormous cake. While I don't remember this particular day, I have many fond memories of Grandma's dining room with its round table. My family moved a lot, but Grandma's house was familiar and unchanging. 


I got a new red dress and a box of animal lacing cards. We returned to South Africa a few months later, and the cards went with me. I laced them many, many times until the cards and the box fell apart.


Celebrations do not need to be elaborate to be special. My brother and cousins are having a wonderful time as I prepare to blow out my candles.


My eyes look bigger than my stomach as I wait for Mom to slice my cake. I may not remember all that happened in my early years, but I did internalize the security, safety, love and joy I experienced in my family circle. Sadly, too many children internalize opposite experiences in dysfunctional families. 

Now I am the grandma and as our grandchildren grow up, it is our turn to make them feel part of a loving and accepting family.  

Happy Fourth Birthday, little Miss P!

No comments:

Post a Comment