End of March Birding Observations

Bald Eagle

I finally saw a Bald Eagle at the local eyrie on March 28th. This nest was well established before I first found it in 2014. Bald Eagles take five years to reach maturity and live an average of 20 years in the wild. I assumed that the same pair of birds have occupied this nest for the past ten-plus years but they may be nearing the end of their reproductive cycle. I have yet to see an eagle sitting on the nest this year which is unusual. Time will tell if there will be young eagles here this season. In the meantime, this Bald Eagle presides over the river from a high perch like a judge on a bench. 

I had time last month to drive to the Aylmer Wildlife Management Area to see the expected staging of thousands of Tundra Swans migrating from Chesapeake Bay to the Arctic. On March 10th this year, a peak of 386 swans were counted compared to 4,300 on the same day in 2023. The final total of swans was 2,351 by March 27, 2024, compared to 37,000 last year. There are several possible explanations for the lack of birds this year with the unusually warm winter weather being at the root of most theories. Perhaps the numbers will return to "normal" next year. I decided not to make the trip this year as no swans were there for several days in March. 

Eastern Meadowlark


I am enjoying the Merlin Bird ID app on my phone. I can record bird songs and the app identifies the singers. Birds generally have more than one call, especially during the nesting season, so the app is useful for unfamiliar sounds. After the birds are identified by their call, I can look for them in earnest. I knew several Eastern Meadowlarks were in the field, but they generally stay on the ground and are difficult to see from a distance. I saw a pair fly up in a mating ritual and then one landed on a nearby fence and began to sing loudly. Our North American Meadowlarks are not true Larks but are beautiful relatives of blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles and orioles. Sadly, their numbers have decreased by over 75% in the past 50 years due to the loss of meadowlands from changes in farming practices. I think of this every time I see field after field of corn and soybeans in the summer, much of it used for livestock feed.

Male Hooded Merganser (hood down)

This is the time of year to see local and migrating water birds. A lady approached me as I looked for birds at a small reservoir and asked if I had seen any Mallards. They are the most familiar duck and were they not so common, we would admire the spring plumage of the male. I was focused on Hooded Megansers and Bufflehead ducks in the distance. They are diving ducks and are seldom seen near the shore where dabbling ducks like Mallards crowd around people who offer them bits of bread or grain. 

Song Sparrow

Spring is a great time to watch for a variety of Sparrows. Shy, "little brown birds" do not attract many photographers with big lenses. I enjoy hearing Song Sparrows again and look forward to the arrival of White-throated Sparrows and their "O-Sweet-Canada-Canada-Canada" call. While I looked at the distant Mergansers, this little Song Sparrow hopped in the grass at the water's edge.

Male and Female Hooded Mergansers

The silliest bird behaviour I saw involved a pair of Canada Geese and an Osprey. Osprey platforms have been built along the Grand River and several Canada Geese have been spotted nesting on the platforms. I wonder how young goslings could safely leave such a high nest after hatching? I saw two geese in the nest but before I could get a close-up photo, an Osprey evicted the squatters with one swoop. Ospreys have just returned to their nesting areas and as aggressive as Canada Geese can be, they will be no match for a pair of Osprey. It reminded me of how easy it can be for unqualified people to get positions in high places, but that is an entirely new discussion!

April and May will bring more bird activity and I am ready to enjoy this season.

Osprey platform and the rightful Osprey tenant

Addendum April 2, 2024

A photographer from our local newspaper took this photo of the geese squatters I mentioned in the post. This is from today's paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment