Preparing for the Total Solar Eclipse

Midafternoon sun on April 5, 2024

This afternoon, we prepared for the upcoming solar eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024. I bought a sheet of Solar Shield film and made filters for my camera and binoculars. I have taken many pictures of the moon and sunrises but have little experience photographing the afternoon sun. 

Annular solar eclipse June 10, 2021

The last solar eclipse in our area was an annular eclipse at dawn on June 10, 2021. The sun rose at 5:35 AM and I took this picture at 5:41 AM. The sun was too bright within ten minutes to see the moon's shadow. 

Partial Solar Eclipse August 21, 2017
On August 21, 2017, a partial solar eclipse was seen in our part of Canada. We were on the edge of a total solar eclipse that spanned the continental  United States from coast to coast. We watched as the moon covered about 75% of the sun. I was at work that day and my coworkers took turns using the eclipse glasses to watch the eclipse through the hospital windows. A total eclipse was coming in 2024 so I kept the glasses even though the date seemed far in the future. Much has happened in the almost seven years since August 2017 but it seems like yesterday. 

So we prepare for a total solar eclipse and if we are fortunate, the skies will be clear enough to see the entire event. We plan to drive to the north shore of Lake Erie where totality will last about three minutes. I am sure it will be one of the most documented eclipses in history!



No comments:

Post a Comment