Now I am Six






“When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now forever and ever.”

― A.A. Milne, Now We Are Six







We have a practically perfect six-year-old in the family right now. I have always maintained that children aged six to seven are at an ideal age:- quite independent in self-care while still enjoying the company of adults. They are curious, helpful, optimistic, observant and take delight in learning. Our granddaughter is taking piano and singing lessons and has learned how to swim. I hope she always maintains her current enthusiasm for living. This is the age when most children develop reliable autobiographical memory and I hope to be part of many more positive memories.
Sleepover with Nana and Aunt B
There is merit in being "six forever and ever" and I am taking note of things I can do to maintain an optimistic inner six-year-old self. I remember being a rather anxious six-year-old who dreaded school and had many fears. I also remember mastering my Hoola Hoop and finding pleasure in learning to read and write. My family was the centre of my world. Here is the start of a list to take "six decades plus" off my life.
  • enjoy spontaneous dance parties
  • make time for play 
  • and be silly regularly
  • practice new skills daily
  • face new social situations with confidence
  • have a sense of wonder 
  • trust people who love and care for me
  • increase my independence but...
  • allow others to help me when needed
  • have a simple faith and optimism each day
  • laugh often
  • wander and explore my world
  • love my family wholeheartedly
  • make gifts for everyone

We have a special 4-year-old grandson who is also becoming a very interesting person. Before I know it he will also be six and "clever as clever" just like his big sister.



No comments:

Post a Comment