Purslane


August brought welcome rain after a month of drought. The plants in the garden flourished in the moisture that arrived along with the humid heat. The "weeds" also grew quickly on the lawn and between the perennial plants. This is the time of year when Purslane is found growing in our region. My Mexican niece visited for a few weeks a couple of years ago and she was the one who identified Purslane in our garden as an edible plant. This succulent plant is cultivated and sold as a vegetable in many places in the world. 

My recent bout of Covid-19 left me without smell or taste for at least three weeks. That along with other upper respiratory symptoms left me craving creamy, sweet foods like ice cream, iced coffee and custards. At least I could sense cold and smoothness in my mouth. Now that my symptoms have resolved, it is time to get back to healthier eating habits. 

I harvested a lot of Purslane as I cleaned up the flower beds this past week. We have very sandy soil so soaking and rinsing the leaves was essential. 


I like greens for breakfast and often cook spinach with onion, garlic, peppers, tomato and mushrooms if I have them handy. My tomato crop is ripening and our Shishito peppers plants have done well this summer.




Breakfast is served;- 

Purslane stir-fried with onions, garlic and peppers and garnished with goat cheese, tomato and a hard-boiled egg. 

Delicious!

Maybe I will cultivate a plot of it next year and stop calling in a weed.



No comments:

Post a Comment