Fond Memories of Mom


Mom has been gone eight years ago today. My sleep last night was as fitful as it was her last night when my daughter and I kept vigil in her hospital room. In Dad's last years, as he struggled with a progressive illness, he frequently expressed his wish to die. But Mom would have loved to stay around for another decade or two. She enjoyed the incredible beauty of her surroundings in south-west Mexico and thrived on contact with family and friends. The five new great-grandchildren she never met would have brought her much joy. She would think it unfair that Queen Elizabeth is still going strong after her 95th birthday yesterday. She had a strong faith in God, but had not crossed off everything on her earthly bucket list. She had an optimistic, grateful joy for living all her life. 


Mom was exactly my age when she had her first cancer diagnosis. Eleven years later she had a second type of cancer which she fought valiantly for the next four years. My brother and his family provided her excellent care and support and I was able to visit her a couple of times a year as she had ongoing treatment. We often sat outside the house enjoying the flowers and watching an amazing variety of bird life. The sunsets over the valley were spectacular. As her world became smaller, she grasped technology, calling daily on Skype and monitoring her Facebook feed closely for updates on family and friends. My memories of those times are very special.

Today is also Earth Day and like Mom, I take pleasure in what this physical world has to offer. The love of nature that Mom absorbed from her parents was passed on to me. I am also a recipient of her example of faith and trust in God. Each of us have a unique path in life, our respective journeys forming our relationship with God and others. 

Psalm 84 is one of my favourites and these verses always remind me of Mom.

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.

As they pass through the Valley of Weeping,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.


2 comments:

  1. Precious memories , they keep our loved ones alive in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry about your Mom. I lost mine in 2012 and Dad in 2016 and it is very hard.....stay well....Michelle

    ReplyDelete