Corvids I have Known

American Crow
I rode my bike to work early this morning and watched a pair of American Crows foraging in the grass beside the trail. They are members of Corvidae, a branch of large passerine birds including Crows, Ravens, Magpies, Jays, Nutcrackers, and other species. I knew that once I got to the hospital, the buzzword would be COVID, but thinking about Corvids was more enjoyable. Corvids are highly intelligent birds who outsmart many mammals with their problem-solving abilities. Some species live in large social groups and are able to discern emotional cues and display empathy. 

It is difficult to take a really good picture of completely white or black birds. I don't pay much attention to crows unless I notice them being pursued in the air by smaller birds who are protecting their nests. 


Common Raven

Ravens are rarely found in our area of southern Ontario, but are common to the north and across the Canadian Shield. The only way I am certain that is bird is a Raven and not a Crow is by its call. The bird to the right was in Ottawa ON and was making its unmistakable croaking call. Again, this picture shows the difficulty of taking a really well exposed photo of an all-black bird. 




Who is not drawn to the beauty and gregarious nature of the Blue Jay? These birds frequent our bird feeders and are common throughout our province. I have seen other Jays in Mexico and Western USA exhibiting similar behaviours. When I worked in Home Care, I met an older couple who fed a Blue Jay on the balcony of their apartment. In time, the Blue Jay would come right into their living room for a treat if the balcony door was open. They made sure I met their feathered friend on one of my visits. 


We have to travel three hours north to find the Canada Jay, also nicknamed the Whiskey Jack. This one ate from my husband's hand in Algonquin Park. It is very similar to its cousin, the Clark's Nutcracker, a bird of the mountains which we have seen in Banff, Alberta. 

I don't imagine there will be opportunity for much spring birding around the province this year due to stay at home orders that remain in place until May 20th. Maybe I will work on getting a really good photo of an American Crow.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree that getting a good picture of a Crow or Raven is difficult . The light would have too be just right to get some detail.

    ReplyDelete