Compassion Fatigue

 


I had one day off work this week which gave me the opportunity to hop on my bike early in the morning and ride to a quiet spot to enjoy nature and meditate. Lines from Leonard Cohen's song played over in my head,

"It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not someone who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah..."

The world is full of suffering and we are bombarded by media with details of too many troubling events. I see coworkers who have worked for a year in the pandemic, many who have not had vacation time, as they suffer fatigue from so much caring. There are many "broken hallelujahs" as people battle illness, loss, fractured relationships, aging, loneliness, and face an uncertain future. 

In Mark 6:31, we read the Jesus and his disciples suffered from compassion fatigue as well.

...because so many people were coming and going 
that they did not even have a chance to eat, he (Jesus) said to them, 
“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

This is the solution for a tired soul, but the story goes on to say that the crowds beat Jesus and his disciples to the quiet place. It was much later after a busy day and night that they experienced rejuvenating peace and quiet. 

As I sat on a big stone in the park, I watched two chickadees gather dried grass for a nest. A Song Sparrow sang its spring song from the top of a tree. 

"...but not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.
And the very hairs on your head 
are all numbered. 
So don’t be afraid; 
you are more valuable to God 
than a whole flock of sparrows." 
Matthew 10:29-31

I cannot bear all the bad news and requests for prayer that fill social media feeds or come my way from other people. A couple of years ago I wrote about our circles of control and influence and how we need to narrow our focus to areas where we have control and influence. Each morning my prayer is that I will "be Christ" to the people who I encounter in my circle that day. 

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

The world is watching as efforts are made to free the enormous cargo vessel that has been blocking the Suez Canal in the past week. Many funny memes are circulating as people liken circumstances in their lives to this digger undertaking the overwhelming job of freeing the monster ship. The digger cannot accomplish this on its own, but is part of a much bigger team that is working on a solution to the problem.

We must nurture meaningful personal and spiritual relationships so we have a team that keeps us afloat in times of trouble. We cannot feel guilty if we do not respond to every need we hear about but must take time to find rest and balance in our lives. 



1 comment:

  1. Words of wisdom here. I know that I often feel overwhelmed by all the needs around me. i want to pray for each one and try to do so, but I then neglect to share my burdens, as others already have so much to bear.

    ReplyDelete