Front Line View of COVID-19

I retired from my full time job as a physiotherapist on a geriatric assessment and neurobehavioural unit on February 14, 2020. An opportunity for a short term contract, 2 day a week position at another city hospital came up that week and I applied thinking it would be nice to wind down my career gradually over the next nine months. 

The first day of my new job was March 9, 2020 and one week later, COVID-19 arrived in Canada and changed everything for everyone everywhere. I will not forget the first COVID patient I treated, and the nauseous fear I felt as I donned layers of protective gear outside her room. We have learned a lot about COVID since March and treatments have been optimized allowing better outcomes for many patients. I am no longer afraid.

We are now entrenched in wave 2 of the infection and a couple of weeks ago, our hospital reported that one in five patients currently admitted was there because of COVID. At this time my unit is a dedicated COVID unit and while the majority of patients on a given day are considered "resolved", they are still very ill and debilitated. Even those that do not need ICU treatment can have disabling problems that last for months. 

It has been very difficult to listen to people who feel that the current vaccines are dangerous and have been pushed through too quickly. I cannot share specific details and stories about what I see on the job, but I wish that everyone could spend half a day in the hospital with people recovering from the illness. I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on December 31, 2020 and could not have asked for better gift for the new year. 

I will get my second dose in two days and feel privileged to be at the front of the line. I am well aware that richer nations have access to vaccines ahead of many poorer nations where health care workers also deserve timely protection. 

My expectation of retirement has been turned upside down but as I look back on the last 11 months, I am grateful for many things. I am thankful for good health, amazing coworkers, the opportunity to learn new skills and the privilege of helping sick patients in their recovery. My contract has been extended and I am working more than two days a week, but I enjoy the contact with other people and the structure that the job provides in my life.

Our society has been greatly inconvenienced by the lock downs and vulnerable people are suffering in prolonged isolation. Canadians have the privilege of universal health care but that brings the responsibility making sure the system is not overburdened to the point of collapse. Our hospitals are at capacity. The pandemic is taking its toll on health care workers, many of whom have not had vacations in a year, who are juggling child care with school closures, along with those who have become ill. There is not an endless supply of trained workers to take their places when they are unable to work. So we care for each other, and follow the guidelines, and wait...

This will come to an end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment