Seasonal Simplicity

Mom's paper nativity set

Our Christmas decorations are stored in the crawl space and must be retrieved by someone with a young spine and good knees. We had boxes of seasonal decor that had not been touched for years and many of the collected items were sent to a thrift store this November. I am minimizing our belongings as much as possible while respecting the nostalgic feelings of each family member.

Christmases of my childhood were simple yet special. We moved often and Mom had only one box of seasonal lights and ornaments. She had a paper nativity set that was displayed every year in the living room. I still have it even though it has not been used for years. (my nostalgia!)

Christmas tree selection at Uncle Bill's farm- 1964

We always had a real tree, whether a decorated palm frond in South Africa or a freshly cut pine from Mom's brother's farm. The tree went up a few days before Christmas Eve and was taken down by New Year's Day. As children, we received one item of clothing, one book and one toy and I know that the gifts were subsidized by our grandmother. Christmas baking was also simple:- shortbread cutouts, sugar cookies, Graham squares, graham crumb rolls with coloured marshmallows, and fruitcake with thick marzipan topping for Dad. I was tasked with making place card decorations for the Christmas dinner table each year. Mom combed magazines and newspapers for ideas for inexpensive, disposable decorations. I remember assembling construction paper and popcorn garlands as well as glitter and glue stars and angels.

I am sure Christmas celebrations changed for my three younger brothers after my parents moved to Mexico in the mid-1970s. I married into a family with different traditions who celebrated Christmas on a much grander scale. Times change, people move, ideologies evolve and new traditions are formed by younger generations. My daughter told me her friends turn their noses up at the thought of a big turkey dinner. They prefer more informal pot-luck gatherings where one person is not stuck in the kitchen for hours (or days) making a multi-course meal. Grandma D. hosted many Christmas dinners and I now understand how she struggled to even put up a few decorations in later years. Family and friends are who make holidays special and as we get older our connections often thin out. 

Christmas 2012

Mom's last Christmas was spent with family that she loved. Sadly, not everyone in the family was able to get to Mexico at the same time but I am grateful to have pictures from that day. My brother from Canada and I visited a few weeks later in January so she got to spend time with all her children before her health worsened quickly.

Here are some of Grandma D's recipes, the first two in her own writing and the last one written out by Mom. The lemon square recipe is from Aunt Minnie and is at least 100 years old!




.

                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment