Local Explorations: Glen Williams



This is the first summer since the pandemic started when life seems to be back to a new normal. We follow pre-pandemic infection control procedures within the hospital. Masks are only worn for patients on airborne precautions and we can choose whether to mask when walking in the hallways or charting at nursing stations. Highways are busy as people have physically returned to work and school. We are free to travel, eat at restaurants, and visit shops and parks. My good friend suggested we meet for lunch at Glen Williams, a small hamlet just north of Georgetown, Ontario.

Georgetown is less than an hour from our home but I have never visited the area that I can remember. It was a beautiful drive between Guelph and Glen Williams and I imagine that fall colours would be spectacular in October. 


Pottery Studio




Glen Williams has several art studios where artisans sell their work, from glass blowing to pottery, dried flower arrangements, textiles and fine art. After eating a delicious lunch at the Copper Kettle Pub, we visited several studios and I will definitely return when I need to buy a gift for someone. I was fascinated by the glass studio and the interesting variety of paperweights. Grandma D collected blown glass paperweights as souvenirs over her lifetime and kept them in a sunny alcove in the living room with her travel scrapbooks. I loved going through her scrapbooks and admired her paperweight collection. I would settle for one of the lovely small glass pendants on a chain.





Glen Willams Antique Mall


The hamlet also has an antique mall which confirmed that I am an antique myself! Many of the goods for sale were items I have used in the past 60 years. A lot of people accumulated a lot of "things" and then had big estate sales when they downsized or died. I wasn't interested in buying antiques but was motivated to get rid of the many things I have accumulated and no longer use. If you were starting with nothing, this mall would be a great place to find unique accents for a home.

I am grateful to have the time and the means to explore more of our province. I noticed the Lucy Maud Montgomery House and Garden in the Georgetown area as well as several hiking trails in the Credit River Valley that beg another visit. It is time to get back into the swing of local travel and exploration.





No comments:

Post a Comment