Wheels for Soft Workouts


I bought myself a second-hand fold-up Schwinn bike last spring on Kijiji but only rode it a little as I developed some knee issues. I had a bike rack on the back of a previous vehicle and used it a few years ago for my regular bike, but never had a hitch added to my current Honda CRV. Many of the trails I enjoy are linear and it is important to know when you are half-tired so you have the energy to return to the parking lot. A fold-up bike seemed like a good solution. I tried one my son-in-law had purchased and found it to be very comfortable and convenient.



The fold-up bike has 20" wheels instead of the 26" wheels on my standard comfort bike. You would not want to commute or go on a long trek with the fold-up but it is great for trails and the meandering journeys I enjoy. Both my bikes have seven gears and that is enough for the types of terrain I traverse.

My three-year-old grandson loves to ride his scooter and will go two or three kilometres easily. He travels much faster than walking speed so a supervising adult needs wheels too. The folding bike is perfect.

Master A. is a true "meanderer", a child after my own heart. He stops frequently to observe his surroundings and is fascinated with stones, bugs, snakes, flowers and drains or manhole covers





My daughter reported that one of the manholes covers on this trail had many garter snakes sunning on it as they awoke from winter hibernation last month.

Master A. stopped at every cover and sat as he looked for them. I much prefer looking for birds over snakes but do my best to keep my prejudices to myself. I want my grandson to be curious rather than fearful.









The Schwinn bike folds in three easy moves;- the seat comes off, the handlebars fold down, and the frame folds in half. It is a lightweight lift into the back of the vehicle. 





Some people enjoy hard workouts in a gym to maintain and improve their fitness levels. I prefer soft outdoor workouts that allow time for seated observation. I sometimes feel sorry for the people jogging by with their earbuds and fitness trackers as they miss the birdsong and flowers and other interesting discoveries along the trail. 

Master A. may develop a more intense, "hard workout" style in the future, but for now, he and I are perfect companions for soft outings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment