The Solace of Nature

Sandhill Cranes, part of a large flock of over 100 birds migrating south

Psalm 23 is one of the best-known scriptural texts in the Bible. I enjoy the beautiful rendition used as the theme song for the BBC sitcom The Vicar of Dibley. I include the psalm in my daily prayer time and throughout the pandemic have visualized "walking through the valley of the shadow of death" every time I enter the hospital. But the words that follow, "I will fear no evil for you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me", have centred me during many stressful days.

This week started with illness and death in our immediate family. Events like these happen to everyone eventually, but the accompanying shock and stress need to be processed in a healthy way. I got up after a sleepless night yesterday and decided that I needed to explore paths of righteousness with (green) pastures and still waters. I haven't had time recently to go birding and the day was perfect for exploring some local trails.

Northern Cardinal



I enjoyed seeing many regular birds that were easier to spot now the leaves are off the trees and shrubs. People leave birdseed along the trail which attracts seed-eaters in the cold weather. There were many Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, House Finches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Juncos and various sparrows to be found. I heard a flock of birds calling as they flew overhead and was pleasantly surprised to see a large group of Sandhill Cranes as they migrated south. What an unexpected find!










Fox Sparrow
Another unexpected find was a group of six Fox Sparrows who were singing their distinctive song in the shrubs. These birds do not nest in our region and were also migrating for the season. The birds are larger sparrows and their fox-red markings are distinctive.

American Tree Sparrow
This American Tree Sparrow is a seasonal visitor and we enjoy large numbers of them here during the winter months. They have a distinctive reddish cap and a chest dot.

Tufted Titmouse
My most exciting find was a Tufted Titmouse. These birds are part of the Chickadee family and are common south of the border. Their range is slowly moving northward. I have seen one near Lake Erie but have never seen one in our region. Their cuteness score is 15/10!!

The picture on the left is not well-focused as these birds do not sit still very long for portraits. But it shows the cartoon-like front view of the Tufted Titmouse. Five pleasurable hours passed quickly and I did feel refreshed and relaxed. We took another walk with the dog in the woods later in the day and affirm the restorative benefits of nature. 


Here is Psalm 23 in the New Living Translation I am currently reading.


Psalm 23
A psalm of David.


The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honour to his name.

Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honour me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
                                                                                all the days of my life,
                                                                                  and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.


Bird count for the day: 21 land species
Red-tailed hawk, Northern Harrier, Sandhill Crane, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, American Tree Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, House Finch, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-breasted Woodpecker, American Robin, Canada Goose, House Sparrow, Rock Dove, various Gulls, 
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment