Tea Granny

Abigail's Tea House, St. George Ontario- a favourite of ours!

 The first thing I do in the morning when I come into the kitchen is to put the kettle on for a pot of tea. I cannot imagine starting the day without this routine. I always take my S'well insulated bottle to work, filled with either hibiscus flowers and cinnamon sticks or rooibos mint tea with a dusting of cocoa. The other favourite household beverage is Chai, prepared from scratch with cinnamon sticks, ginger root, cardamom pods, whole cloves and black tea. The kitchen smells wonderful when this is brewing. 

I have never been a fan of green tea even after trying numerous blends. The health benefits of green tea have been widely studied but it has a bitterness that limits me to a few sips at a time. I was intrigued to notice that Tetley had a black/green tea blend available in United States. Black and green tea leaves usually steep best at different temperatures, green tea requiring water that is just under a boil. While looking up more about this tea blend, I came across a very happy discovery... Murchie's Tea!!

Murchie's Fine Tea and Coffee is a Canadian company based in Vancouver and Victoria BC. It was founded by John Murchie, a Scottish immigrant who had blended and delivered tea for Queen Victoria at Balmoral Castle. His brought his passion for good tea to Canada and established Murchie's Tea in 1894. 



 
The company has nine different Green/Black tea blends and I have loved every one that I have tried so far. Right now I am using No. 22 Blend in the morning. Murchie's offers many other teas and we have enjoyed a variety of them including Irish Breakfast, Prince Charles, and Murchie's Afternoon Blend. I buy loose tea leaves but the teas are available in bags as well. I was in Victoria BC and few years ago and definitely would have visited this shop had I known about it. They have excellent online service and fast shipping times, even though I would love an excuse to visit Vancouver Island again. 

Tea is something I always pack when going on a trip. In Mexico, the default tea in the area where my parents lived was chamomile tea, which is not on my list of essential brews. 

I took my own tea and used this Mexican pottery teapot when I visited Mom and Dad. When Dad died in 2019, I brought the teapot back to Canada with me.

I do enjoy a good cup of coffee from time to time, particularly cold brew iced coffee served with lots of ice in the summer. We make this at home too, "steeping" the grounds overnight. I made kombucha tea for several years, caring for my SCOBYs diligently. I buy a bottle now and then for a treat or if I feel the need of a good dose of probiotic bacteria. 

But hot, brewed tea is Queen for me.

* I am not being paid to promote any businesses mentioned in this post*


3 comments:

  1. As one who also enjoys coffee and tea (green included), I will have to check out your recommendation of Murchie's when my tea stash gets low, thank you (do they ever have free shipping promos?). I used to make kombucha as well but I eventually neglected my poor SCOBY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murchie's does have promos from time to time- if you use Facebook, they publish their specials. There is free shipping over a certain dollar amount. I was the only Kombucha fan at home and produced more than I could consume.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this brings back memories. I lived on Vancouver island way back in the 70's when my kids were small. Murchie's tea. Not sure if I ever drank this, but that name does ring a bell. Perhaps in a restaurant or I may have passed by the shop or tea room. Anyway, I'm glad you found an amazing tea to drink. I prefer coffee in the morning. Tea later in the day.
    Stay well and safe.
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete