Happy Birthday Dad...


Dad, with the love of his life- Cape of Good Hope 1961

Dad was born 89 years ago, on July 1, 1932. He lived life with high ideals and a sense of calling and adventure. As a child, I never realized how very young my parents were when they started a family. They had five children by the age of 32, in a time of great social change. I wish I understood my dad when I was younger as well as I understand him now. He lived in the present, set goals for the future, but seldom reflected on the past. 

Dad had a keen interest in science and technology. He always had a good SLR camera and our lives were well documented. He also took movies on 8mm film when we lived in South Africa and we loved watching family movies at home in the evening. Dad bought his first Apple computer when they still used floppy disks and he bought our family a computer in 1991, insisting that I learn to use it. 

Dad with his sisters and me in 1976, and Dad at our home on his 2nd last visit to Canada

Mom and Dad moved to Mexico with my three youngest brothers in 1976. They visited Canada yearly until 2009 when Mom became ill with cancer. After she died in 2013, Dad visited us once more, later that year. Mom and Dad were really indivisible and he struggled in the six years he lived after her death. I was able to visit him several times in his last years in Mexico where he lived with my brother, Philip and his family.

Bible story time- 1966

Dad loved his family dearly and was very fond of his sisters. He lives on in all of his children, and his love of travel, his love for God and passion for the gospel has been passed down through the generations that have followed him. 

Five children, 14 grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren and counting...

We remember you with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment