I would generally define the noun "glimmer" as a faint, flickering beam of light or a subtle indication of hope or understanding. More recently, in psychology and mental health counselling, a "glimmer" has also been defined as the opposite of a "trigger." It is not unusual for articles, videos and books to have a trigger warning, especially when the subject matter is about abuse or self-harm, but I have never seen a glimmer warning!In this context, glimmers are small moments and daily micro-experiences that bring feelings of comfort, joy, peace and safety. They may be so faint, flickering and subtle that we miss them altogether. I worked with a clinical aide on a particularly busy medical/surgical unit over the past six years. Sometimes he would step into the kitchen and put a piece of bread in the toaster. He loved the smell of toast, so he created a two-minute "glimmer," providing a reset from the stressors of the day.
As a child and young teenager in the 1960s, I was exposed to a decade of scary news events that I did not fully understand. Combined with our church's teaching of an imminent "rapture", I was often very frightened at bedtime. My dad loved classical music and played his favourite selections on a reel-to-reel tape recorder in the evenings after my brothers and I went to bed. The music brought me feelings of peace. To this day, I like to listen to classical music at home, particularly in the evening.
The last few weeks have taken me to the verge of melancholy due to sleeplessness and the lack of a consistent and productive routine. As in decades past, the news cycle is very depressing but far more intrusive due to constant online exposure. I am very grateful to be driving again, and the early autumn weather has been lovely this week. It has been good to document moments of gratitude and acknowledge the glimmers that renew feelings of peace and hope.
 |
| Foraging for delicious mulberries with my grandson |
 |
Bright, cheerful sunflowers
|
 |
| A get-well card from my granddaughter with real leaves and flowers |
 |
| A young neighbourhood raccoon, a model of natural resilience |
 |
| A field of autumn wildflowers in the park at the end of our street |
 |
| Monarch butterflies congregating for migration at Edwards Gardens, Toronto |
 |
A special family visit
|
Comments
Post a Comment