Seasons of Hope

Today is the first Sunday of Advent and the start of a new liturgical church year. It is a time of waiting in the dark, waiting for the light that has been promised. In the northern hemisphere, shortened days, barren trees and wintry weather illustrate the season well. 

We had our first snowfall at the beginning of November, and even more snow fell this weekend. The deciduous trees in the woods are bare, and the ground vegetation is covered in a white blanket of ice and snow. I have experienced many seasons and know that life is present in this cold landscape. This is not Narnia, where the spell of the White Witch caused the land to be in a state where it was always winter and never Christmas. Some days it feels like our world is under a similar evil spell of cold and darkness, without justice or hope for the future. 


I love the quote by Hal Borland, which states

"No winter lasts forever: no spring skips its turn." 

Every year, I watch these dead trees turn green and admire the flowers that spring up from the hard earth. 

I wish that all people were as faithful and reliable as the trees, flowers and wild creatures that inhabit our natural spaces. Human nature is often destructive in its ambitions of power and wealth. Envy, jealousy, selfishness, and judgmental attitudes can cause irreparable damage to our relationships with people who are closest to us.

Cynicism can creep in and take hold as we get older. Adapting to change becomes more difficult, and our thoughts and speech patterns can be increasingly negative. I am well aware that most of my life is behind me, not ahead. I must stand against despair and hopelessness, for my own happiness and for the well-being of the people I influence in my family and social circles.

We all have seasons of joy as well as seasons of loss and sadness. But we do not lose hope.
Each day I pray these words from Psalm 25, 

"No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame...
Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. 
Guide me in your truth and teach me, 
for you are God my Saviour 
and my hope is in you all day long."

Comments