| The abandoned eyrie |
We discovered this Bald Eagle nest on April 26, 2014, and I have visited yearly ever since to watch the pair raise a succession of young eaglets. The only nesting failure was caused by the derecho that struck our region on May 21, 2022, which blew the young birds out of the nest. Last year, I did not see evidence of nesting at the site, but I saw one Bald Eagle in the tree at the end of March 2024. I stopped by this morning, and there was no activity in the nest. A lady came by with her dogs and told me the eagles built a new nest a few hundred metres upstream. There are rumours that one of the eagles died, and a new relationship triggered the need for a new nest. Perhaps the large eyrie was getting too heavy for the top of the pine tree, and it was susceptible to wind and sun in the old location.
| The new eyrie |
The new nest is two pine trees upstream in a more sheltered location. Another birder pointed it out to me, or I might have missed it. The location above the river appears to be ideal.
One adult bird stayed on the nest to watch two young eaglets.
I caught a glimpse of one of the eaglets as it peeked over the edge of the nest. A retired couple had their cameras set up and focused on the nest from a respectful distance on the opposite bank of the river. They stop by daily to monitor the progress of the eaglets and to capture footage for their YouTube channel. Apparently, this nest was constructed last year.
I drove on to look for Eastern Bluebirds, Eastern Meadowlarks, and Sandhill Cranes in a field between Ayr and Paris, Ontario. I did not find any Bluebirds (unusual), but Tree Swallows have arrived this week with the south winds. They will claim the bird boxes if no Bluebirds are around.
Three Eastern Meadowlarks were singing loudly, spiralling high in the air, and pursuing each other in an apparent turf war. I love the song of the Meadowlark. They are elusive when nesting but are easier to spot during mating season. On the way home, I listened to Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending, one of my favourite musical selections, even though the British Skylark is unrelated to the Eastern Meadowlark.
Savannah Sparrows were very active here today as well. They look similar to a Song Sparrow but have a yellow eyestripe. Their song is a buzzy, off-key variation of the clear notes of the Song Sparrow's call. Sandhill Cranes were calling in the distance, and I saw one flying overhead. My total bird count for the day was fairly low, but I was happy to find the new Eagle nest and to see a good Meadowlark show.
| Snapping Turtle's slow trip across the road |
I came across a medium-sized snapping turtle as it walked very slowly across the dirt road. I pulled over and wondered if I should lift it to safety, as cars were driving along the road at high speed. I don't know much about turtles, and decided to stay in my vehicle for my own safety, too.
Bird Count this week: 24 (*FOY)
Bald Eagle
Eastern Meadowlark*
Savannah Sparrow*
Tree Swallow*
Sandhill Crane*
Turkey Vulture
Northern Flicker
Brown Creeper*
Pileated Woodpecker*
Killdeer
Green Heron*
(Red-winged Blackbird, Canada Goose, BC Chickadee, Mallard Duck, American Robin, Song Sparrow, American Crow, Common Grackle, Northern Cardinal, House Finch, Red-tailed Hawk, Junco, Blue Jay)
Comments
Post a Comment