![]() |
| Getting Acquainted at the Picnic (photo courtesy of The Becka) |
Summer has been average in temperature and precipitation in our region this year, with just a few hot, humid days. We have had several smoke-filled days from forest fires in the northwest part of the province, but the air has now cleared. The phrase "dog days of summer" refers to the six weeks between early July and mid-August. The nerdy astronomers in the family may be interested in the following facts. (We haven't had the telescope out for a look at Sirius or Canis Major this year.)
"The phrase "dog days of summer" is actually a reference to Sirius (the Dog Star), which is part of the constellation Canis Major (the Greater Dog). As Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky and quite literally means "scorching," when those in ancient civilizations noticed that it began to rise with the sun after the summer solstice, they thought the sweltering days were caused by the Earth's proximity to the star." (source)We have had our new dog, Ripley, for just over a year now. Her temperament is friendly and trusting, and she has never growled or snapped at anyone. A wagging tail is her signature move. The family farm where she came from hosts an annual summer picnic for dogs bred in their kennels. We took her back to her birthplace to meet her cousins and perhaps a sibling or two. There were at least two dozen well-loved dogs in attendance who had the opportunity to run freely around the farm.
| Ripley meeting a 9-year-old male cousin |
| Cattle exposure |
| Enjoying Wasaga Beach |
I have crammed as much as possible into July, as my summer outings will be limited for the rest of the season. I am having my first knee replacement tomorrow, and a second is tentatively planned two to three months down the road. My mobility has become more challenging in the past year and while I can still ride my bicycle for reasonable distances, my walking tolerance is quite limited. I am expecting a significant functional improvement by the end of the year. The "physiotherapist" part of me is too aware of possible complications, but I will strive to be a good patient who is very compliant with the strenuous rehab required postoperatively. As I will be having robot-assisted surgery, my six-year-old grandson is convinced I will have super robot powers after recovery! I will be happy to be able to do stairs reciprocally and to walk outdoors on a trail again for a couple of hours.
This month I read Whistler, the latest novel by Ann Patchett, given to me by my good friend. Patchett expertly weaves several story threads in a moving and meaningful way, addressing childhood memories, family relationships, ageing, and death. I am not sure my 40-year-old self would have loved the book as much as I did this month. The author is a baby boomer, and her observations and experiences resonate with me. One of the story threads is about a horse named Whistler who saves the life of her rider. Animal and human relationships are special, and while I have never had a horse, I can relate to the special bonds that develop.
I look forward to going for walks with Ripley again. Every day is a "dog day" at our house!

Comments
Post a Comment