Philocaly

Greek, philo (love) + caly (beauty)

I encountered a new word this week, and while it is rarely used, its meaning is profound. A related word is philosophy, the love of wisdom (sophia). A philocalist enjoys beauty that is present in nature, art, and design, often from an ethical or spiritual perspective.  It can also refer to finding merit in things that should be loved, prioritizing important social values and relationships over material possessions.

A good friend and previous coworker was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer about three months ago. I accompanied her to the local cancer centre for her first oncology assessment in April. We arrived early, and she wanted to walk around the hospital grounds before registering at the clinic. I watched as she soaked in the beauty of early spring, listening as she remarked on the fresh smell of cedar mulch and the colours of the flowers. She knew that, in all likelihood, she was experiencing her last spring, and she responded as a philocalist, intent on appreciating the beauty that many of us take for granted. Yes, she has also experienced fear, grief and sadness, but without bitterness and anger. 

We climbed up the hill at the end of our street to view the full moon rise on May 30, 2026. It was a "blue moon", the second full moon of the month. The sun set to the west two minutes before the moon rose to the east. My favourite picture of the evening is at the beginning of this post, showing people on the fence facing the setting sun. The low, warm light illuminated dandelion globes that covered the hillside. I loved the sense of community as people from the neighbourhood gathered to enjoy the beautiful skies.



So many beautiful moments are fleeting: the short-lived blooms on the crabapple tree, forget-me-nots and poppies, the metallic song of the Catbird in my yard.

In our materialistic world, we struggle with an overabundance of possessions that clutter our homes. One of my favourite things about going on a holiday is that I take only the few things I need. So much time is freed up when we travel lightly. A few years ago, I watched Marie Kondo's Netflix series, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, and liked her philosophy that we should only keep the things that bring us joy. She also encouraged people to express gratitude for the things they were getting rid of.

Saying goodbye and giving thanks for "Stella."

This week, we traded "Stella", the Honda CRV that has been in the family since 2019. I often feel sad when a car is turned in, as it brings memories of many trips, fun times with friends and family, and the reliable convenience of running errands and commuting. I took the picture of Stella after expressing thanks for her service. I use an expanded version of the Lord's Prayer daily. Under the prompt, Give us this day our daily bread, I pray,

"I receive what you provide with gratitude and trust. 
Help me to notice and name your provision again and again."

Philocaly is a form of gratitude that releases feelings of joy and hope, emotions that we truly need to cultivate in our modern existence.

Comments