![]() |
| L-R: Bloodroot, Mom (right), age 3, in 1935, Spring Beauty, Wake Robin, Hepatica, Trout Lily |
I sat in a clinic early this morning, awaiting knee X-rays in preparation for possible surgery. The technician called, "Elizabeth?" I am training myself to respond to my first name, a name I have never used in my entire life. My Health Card and most government documents require me to use my first name now instead of the initial E. used in the past. It is just another way I have become my mother with age.
Elizabeth, my mom, died 13 years ago today. Queen Elizabeth would have been 100 yesterday, and Mom would be celebrating her 94th birthday in 13 more days. In past years, we celebrated a slew of family birthdays in April and May, sometimes having a big party for several people. This time of year brings many happy memories along with a few sad memories.
...all come from dust, and to dust all return...
Ecclesiastes 3
Mom died on Earth Day, and I remember that as I walk through the woods each April and May, watching the ephemerals poke up through the dead leaf carpet. In a few short days, they complete their annual reproductive life and vanish until next spring. I know exactly where to find the flowers in this particular bush, and look forward to the joy of rediscovery every spring. They remind me that life goes on, even after death. Mom loved flowers and nature and enjoyed gardening wherever she lived in the world.
She would love to take these walks with me...
And she does.

Comments
Post a Comment