As someone who has had a few significant falls, and as a therapist who has worked with many "fallers", I can verify that fear of falling, or FOF, is a real disability. Those at an increased risk of falls may be afraid to leave their home. Their gait pattern changes as they take small, cautious steps rather than confident strides. Some resist using a gait aid that would give them freedom to walk independently and safely. I have used walking poles on rough ground for several years now as they provide increased stability as well as an upper body workout. I know my standing balance is not as good as it was in young adulthood, and I don't want to fall, even from a standing height. I practice standing on one leg, trying to maintain my balance for thirty seconds or more. I used to be able to hold this position for two or three minutes.
I have always had a fear of heights. I never liked looking at waterfalls or standing near the edge of a cliff, and to this day, I have never had an interest in going to the top of Toronto's CN Tower.
| Atop the Rockefeller Centre. The Empire State Building is in the centre |
The gospel reading for the first Sunday of Lent was the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness. In one instance, Satan takes Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple and challenges him to jump, claiming angels would protect him.
Malcome Guite, in his Lenten guide The Word in the Wilderness, says the pinnacle of the temple "represents the height of religious experience and achievement...(a life that) can be riddled with pride and a sense of distinction, judging or looking down on others..."
Guite uses G.K. Chesterson's short story, The Hammer of God, as an illustration. The BBC TV series Father Brown is a favourite of mine, and this story is retold in Season 1, Episode 1. In the story, the curate is obsessed with the Gothic architecture of the building and takes to praying on an upper terrace of the church. He commits a crime from this height. Father Brown confronts him about his judgmental act.
"Do you mean that one may fall over?" asked Wilfred.
"I mean that one's soul may fall if one's body doesn't," said the other priest...
"I knew a man," he said, "who began by worshipping with others before the altar but who grew fond of high and lonely places to pray from, corners or niches in the belfry or the spire. And once in one of those dizzy places, where the whole world seemed to turn under him like a wheel, his brain turned also, and he fancied he was God. So that, though he was a good man, he committed a great crime..."
Comments
Post a Comment