| A cleared mountain of snow at a local parking lot |
I walked after dinner today, the first long evening after the switch to daylight saving time. Today was sunny and relatively mild after this long winter. The snow in the neighbourhood plaza's parking lot was cleared with a snowblower rather than a plow, and the snow pile is enormous! We need spring to arrive gradually, or there will be significant flooding.
Most years, I see American Robins in the neighbourhood by March 9th. Last year, we barely had a winter, and Robins and Red-winged Blackbirds were back around February 10th. I looked in all the best spots for Robins this evening. but there were none. There were dozens of male Red-winged Blackbirds and a pair of Killdeer in the park, so spring migration is well underway. A newly-arrived Common Grackle was hanging around our bird feeder yesterday.
I am experiencing cabin fever this month and have hesitated to do much outdoor exploring because of very cold winds and icy weather. Trails that have been tramped down are icy, and the snow cover on fields is still deep. I would love to check on the Bald Eagle nest, but getting to the river's edge would be challenging for me. I had been riding my bike for a month at this time last year but haven't been on it since the end of November.
March break is here, and I will not begrudge local ski hills and resorts a few more days of wintery activity. Snow will yield to the strong spring sun as the equinox approaches. Returning birds know that and their presence lets me know that winter is really over.
| Sunset tonight |
Comments
Post a Comment