Parhelions, Science and Mythology

Parhelion- (photo courtesy of The Becka)
I enjoy finding parhelions that form on either side of the rising or setting sun. They appear in any season but are commonly seen on cold winter days. My daughter took the picture above today as the sun was setting in the afternoon sky. Parhelions are widely known as sundogs. Legend says that ancient Greeks believed that the bright lights were the dogs Zeus would walk across the sky. Science explains that sundogs are caused by refracted light shining through ice crystals in the atmosphere. Most people in our modern world would accept that explanation rather than believing them to be Zeus' dogs.

But then again...

Some people today believe anything, especially if they see or hear it online. Some days my Facebook feed has more fake AI-generated pictures than real photos. This week I have seen fake pictures of Meghan Markle with her "daughter", fake ice flowers, and pictures of a house that did not burn during a volcanic eruption in Hawaii in 2022. That picture is now circulating widely, falsely saying it belongs to a Christian whose house was spared in LA wildfires this month. PTL! Deepfake photos and videos are very convincing and are capable of ruining the lives of innocent people. America now has a president who lies by default, his inaugural speech today featuring several untruths. 

My well-educated young colleagues at work often say that they never listen to the news as it is too depressing. I understand their concerns and recognize that it takes effort to uncover biases in the media. I no longer watch TV news as short video clips seldom provide essential balance and context, focusing instead on sensational headlines and images. I prefer to read select newspapers and news magazines with well-researched, analytic reporting. I always double-check what I see online. We cannot ignore the truth, even when it challenges our own biases and beliefs.

Throughout history, people have tended to reject scientific discovery, often labelling scientists as heretics. Galileo was prosecuted for his discovery that the sun is the centre of our universe. Vaccine resistance started in the early 1800s with the smallpox vaccine. Some people believed it would turn them into cows, yet it eventually eradicated one of the worst diseases in history. Anti-science, anti-history, and anti-intellectual thinking continue to spread quickly today online. People in religious circles who seek "signs and miracles" are easily deceived because they are open to mystical experiences.

There have always been and always will be people who prefer mythical explanations rather than the truth. In this age of artificial intelligence, social media saturation and multiple conflicting voices, we cannot bury our heads in the sand but must be diligent in digging below the surface to discover the truth. 


Comments