| View to the west where the sun had recently set below the horizon. |
One of my bucket list wishes was to see the Aurora Borealis in full display. I have seen small displays of the northern lights twice in my life, once as a child and again as a young adult. I missed a spectacular local light show in May of this year because it occurred late at night when I was asleep. Another large solar storm this week created conditions favourable for seeing the Borealis. People across North America and parts of Europe were awed by this week's displays and many photos are circulating online.
| View to the south with the waxing moon lighting the sky |
Around 7:30 PM last evening, my daughter told me the northern lights were visible. I looked out at the twilight sky and saw nothing so my expectations were low. I was skeptical because of the city lights and the fact that the sky was not yet fully dark. There was a purplish glow to the east that barely caught my attention, but when I took a 5-second exposure photo with my phone, the northern lights were clearly seen. The Auroras are more visible to the naked eye in "dark sky" viewing areas but difficult to see when there is light pollution.
| View to the east where green was more visible |
We went to the field at the end of the street and found ourselves surrounded by colourful lights, their brilliance seen only through the camera lens. Most people walked by on the trail unaware of the show. Only one man stopped to share his excitement and the pictures he took of the display.
| View to the north where the lights were moving. The Big Dipper is also visible |
These pictures were taken between 7:41 and 7:55 PM. The colours shifted but remained subtle and difficult to see without a camera. My brother took beautiful pictures of the Auroras in Wasaga Beach later in the evening and said, "The camera can see the colours much better than my eyes can see them."


Comments
Post a Comment