Aunt Ruth, Glenn Gould and Bach Preludes and Fugues

Ruth and Ruth with GG

 Dad's youngest sister, Ruth is a musical prodigy who played proficiently as a child, had perfect pitch and made a career in music. She is my namesake and patiently taught me piano up to Toronto's Royal Conservatory of Music's Grade 8 level. I had a minuscule amount of talent compared to her but to this day the piano is my favourite musical instrument. Interestingly, my dad played the piano and went further in classical training than I did. His sister outshone him in talent but I remember hearing him play classical music when Mom encouraged him. 

Glenn Gould was an internationally famous Canadian pianist and a unique interpreter of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach. I enjoyed his recordings and followed his career until his untimely death at the age of 50 in 1982. My daughter took the picture of me on Glenn Gould's bench outside the CBC building on Front Street in Toronto. 

Aunt Ruth contacted me this evening to tell me her personal memories of the famous Glenn Gould. She gave permission for me to use her picture and story. These are her words.

"Couldn’t resist…we (Glenn and Ruth) had a little chat as well on that park bench!

Believe it or not, he and I were in the same Kiwanis Music Festival classes back in the day. When he died, he had 2 funeral services. One at Humphrey’s for family and close friends which I played for…(all Bach Prelude and Fugues on the organ…OY!!)

…and of course, the other was at St Paul's (which I didn’t play for🤣🤣!

(just a little Aunty R history!)

Aunt Ruth worked as a musician at Humphrey Funeral Home on Bayview Avenue in Toronto for years. Glen Gould had a public funeral at St. Paul's Anglican Church that was broadcast on CBC and is still available in their archives. 

Well, I am very proud of my aunt and was happy to learn more about her today. She is such an inspiration and is loved by all generations of our family. Here she is at Fan Expo Canada in Toronto last weekend with a robotic friend. She took the time to visit our youngest daughter who had a Pro art table at the show.



Comments