Thanksgiving 2023

Looking West at Sunrise: Spectacle Lake, Madawaska ON

We drove to Ottawa one week ago and then slowly headed home over three days across central Ontario through Algonquin Park and toward Owen Sound. The weather was warm and sunny providing perfect conditions for a car trip. Fall colours are variable this year and we were surprised to find significant leaf fall had occurred in Algonquin Park by October 4th. But lower altitude areas east and west of the park were very colourful, particularly between Eganville and Barry's Bay. We spent a night at Spectacle Lake Lodge, a rustic but beautiful and peaceful location. I enjoyed the night sky without light pollution and a spectacular sunset and sunrise.
 
Looking East at Sunset: Spectacle Lake

The best way to appreciate fall foliage is with illumination from the setting or rising sun and water to reflect the light. Lighting is key to a good photograph!

Midmorning light over Bark Lake, Madawaska

I had time to sit quietly to read and meditate on scripture in the mornings and evenings. My gratitude list this Thanksgiving is very long. However, I am aware that many people are suffering from illness, loneliness, and economic and social insecurities. My cousin's husband is facing a new cancer diagnosis. Others in my family are dealing with chronic health issues and friends are grieving unexpected deaths in their families. 
I read through Jeremiah and Lamentations this week and was reminded of the struggles and sorrows of "the weeping prophet" as he was called to prophesy the coming destruction of Jerusalem. We all travel through valleys of tears and despair in our lives. Poems of lament in the Psalms and Prophets can bring comfort during difficult times. 

Chapter three in the Lamentations of Jeremiah is one of those meaningful passages and I read some verses from it every day. 



"But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
his mercies never come to an end;
 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”

The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul that seeks him.
 It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord...

...For the Lord will not reject forever.
Although he causes grief, 
he will have compassion
according to the abundance of his steadfast love..."


No comments:

Post a Comment