International Women's Day 2023


Today is International Women's Day and an opportunity to acknowledge the incredible women in my family who modelled living with intelligence, capability, resilience, adaptability, creativity, diligence, spiritual strength, a sense of joyful adventure, and most of all, women who loved me dearly. I never felt limited in what I could do as a woman and I am thankful for the confidence and support that was given to me by these blood relatives who invested in my life. I could not begin to number the friends and members of my extended family who have also inspired me over the years.

Women's rights in Canada have expanded greatly since the birthdays of the oldest family members in the picture above. Women have gained the right of personhood, and the right to vote and own property. They have demonstrated excellence in academics, in varied career choices and in leadership roles. Women continue to be pillars in the home and in child-rearing. I do not perceive women as superior to men and there is strength in male and female relationships where there is mutual respect and teamwork. The rise of conservatism around the world has jeopardized gains made in recent years for the rights of women. I think of places like Afghanistan where women can no longer attend schools or religious institutions in the first world where women continue to be excluded in positions of leadership. We still need to battle against misogyny.

I cannot take the privilege of this birth family for granted knowing that many women will never have the benefits I have enjoyed throughout my life. Privilege brings increased responsibility to help others who are less fortunate. I want the world to be an even better place of opportunity and safety for my daughters, granddaughter, my nieces and grand-nieces and hope they will recognize the thread of womanly strength that has come through their ancestral past.

No comments:

Post a Comment