Advent 3: Love

Our newborn grandson 2019                   Nativity (2008)  Erland Sibuea, Indonesia

Erland Sibuea (1967-2016) was an Indonesian artist and co-founder of the Balinese Christian Arts Association. His representation of the Nativity matches the love and wonder I felt as I held our grandson for the first time. The birth of each of our children and grandchildren has been a gift of love.

The familiar Bible verse, John 3:16 says, 
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, 
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

Christ came to fulfill the law of the old covenant and to establish a new law of love;- an indwelling love for God and love for others. One verse of the popular Christmas hymn, O Holy Night says this so well.

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is Love and His gospel is Peace;
Chains shall he break, for the slave is our brother,
And in his name, all oppression shall cease,
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we;
Let all within us praise his Holy name!

My friend sent me an email this week that included a poem by Christina Rossetti that was put to music by Gustav Holst. The last stanza of In the Bleak Midwinter says, 

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

Our response to God's love is to return that love and live the way Christ lived on earth, a life of love and service to others.

I found another Christina Rossetti poem that has also been put to music. Here are the words, and the video below contains a beautiful choral arrangement presented in a COVID-19 collaborative Zoom style. As we light the third Advent candle this day, may we accept the love of Christ and share it with others.

Christmastide

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, Love Divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and Angels gave the sign.

Worship we the Godhead,
Love Incarnate, Love Divine;
Worship we our Jesus:
But wherewith for sacred sign?

Love shall be our token,
Love be yours and love be mine,
Love to God and all men,
Love for plea and gift and sign.

Source: The Poetical Works of Christina Georgina Rossetti, 
with a Memoir and Notes by William Michael Rossetti (1904), page 159


No comments:

Post a Comment