The End of May 2021

 

May is such a beautiful month and is one of my favourites of the year. This spring fluctuated between unseasonably warm and unseasonably cool. But my garden is seven to ten days ahead of schedule with the Oriental Poppies blooming this week rather than in June. I keep meaning to buy some Red Poppies or Flanders Poppies which bloom in the summer as the Oriental Poppies are showy but do not last long. 

The past week has been very cool and temperatures were 0 C yesterday morning when I got up. The cool nights continue which is unusual as in our area, as May 24th is considered the local date that we are free from the risk of frost. The full Flower Moon rose last week and I took this picture as it shone in the evening above an interesting old Roman Catholic church and graveyard in Fallowfield Ontario. 

In the same graveyard an American Robin waited anxiously for me to leave as it held a worm in its mouth for its nestlings in a nearby shrub. 

I am still working on getting a well-exposed and clear picture of a Raven. This one swaggered toward me on a trail in a pine forest where there was considerable light contrast. Obviously this is an ongoing project!

The cold air has created perfect conditions for light pillars. I say goodbye to May 2021 with this beautiful sun pillar seen at sunset a few days ago. 

This past year has been tumultuous to say the least. One year ago today, my eldest nephew celebrated his birthday at the hospital where his mother, my sister-in-law Shirley, was a patient after a heart attack. I brought birthday cupcakes to him in the parking lot as we were restricted from visiting together due to COVID-19. Here we are in the same situation again, but without Shirley this year. Life is precious and we need to live each day to the fullest.

“Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. 
A legacy is etched into the minds of others 
and the stories they share about you.”

Shannon Alder

1 comment:

  1. Love that light pillar shot. Yes, a year ago we would have thought that in a year we would be back to normal,Now normal is a distant dream.

    ReplyDelete