Wanda Vision Wisdom

Saying goodbye to my mother

My iPhone displays new picture memories each day and for some reason, photos from my mother's funeral in April 2013 were featured today. I ended up looking at the entire folder and felt again the grief of her passing. There isn't a day that goes by that I do not think of her. I made her carrot cake recipe for my husband's birthday last weekend and followed her hand-written instructions step by step. I remember her love for all her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

We have been watching Wanda Vision on Disney Plus each Friday since mid January this year. I am not a Marvel comics person and have no clue as to how the characters in this series fit into other Marvel movies. But the story is very compelling and the themes are universal even if one does know the background stories. This week, Vision tells Wanda as she mourns the loss of her brother and family,

 "What is grief if not love persevering."

I met a man a few weeks ago at the hospital who just had surgery for cancer. He was not much older than myself. It was an "open and close" surgery as the cancer was too advanced to be resected. I was supposed to get him up for a walk as he was to be discharged home with palliative care services in the next day or two. He was emotionally distressed and a walk was not what he needed at that moment. I sat and listened at his bedside as he talked about his wife, sons and grandchildren and his faith in God. 

"I have a wonderful family," he said, "and I am going to miss them so much." 

His grief centred around those he loved most. Only one of his sons was allowed to visit for an hour that day in accordance with the strict visiting restrictions due to COVID. The next day I checked in and there was a candle sign on his door. He had passed away suddenly and unexpectedly early in the morning. His obituary was a moving tribute for a husband, father, grandfather and friend who would be grieved with persevering love. 

This season of Wanda Vision ends next Friday and the finale will likely leave us on edge, awaiting the next installments to the story. In the meantime, I may have to watch a couple of Avengers movies even though they never interested me in the past. I undoubtedly missed many connecting dots in the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment